Recommended Computer Specifications
To determine the best computer to suit your needs, first consider your primary usage. We highly recommend that you consult your with your academic program to find out what types of programs you will need to use on your computer and their specific recommendations or requirements. Some software companies provide lists of computer hardware that have been certified to work with their applications.
Consider the following questions before purchasing your computer
- Are you primarily writing papers and accessing the Internet?
- Do you need to use your computer for programming?
- Do you need to use your computer for multimedia work?
- Will you be creating graphics, music, or video?
- Do you need to burn CDs or DVDs?
Example Hardware Configurations
Recommended new computer specifications for using your computer for acessing the Internet and word processing:
|CPU||Intel 6th gen core i7-6700 (3.9GHz, 8M cache) or better||Intel i7 2.9 GHz or faster|
|System RAM||16 GB||8 GB OR 16 GB|
|Hard Drive||500 GB Hard Drive at 7200 RPMs or a SSD/Hybrid or dual||500 GB at 5400 RPMs or 512 GB Flash Drive|
|Monitor||1366X768 Minimum Resolution||1280X800 Min. Resolution|
|Video Card||ATI or NVIDIA Graphics 1GB GDDR5 RAM||NVIDIA GeForce GT 512MB GDDR5 DRAM|
|Operating System||Windows 10 64 Bit||Mac OS 10.x or latest version|
|Network Card||10/100/1000 Mbps Ethernet||10/100/1000 Mbps Ethernet|
|Wireless Network Card||802.11 n with (a/g support) or 802.11 ac||802.11 n with (a/g support) or 802.11 ac|
- Anti-virus software installed and properly configured (we provide free McAfee Antivirus Software for PCs, which can be downloaded from the "OTS Downloads" channel located on the Training and Support tab in the myIIT portal.)
- Three-year warranty
- Theft and damage insurance
- USB flash drive (32-64GB recommended)
Illinois Tech students receive special pricing from Dell and Apple.
These sites are for members of the Illinois Tech community only and may only be accessed through the university domain.