Recommended Computer Specifications
To determine the best computer to suit your needs, first consider your primary usage. We highly recommend that you consult your with your department to find out what types of programs you will need to use on your computer and their specific recommendations or requirements.
Consider the following questions before purchasing your computer
- Are you primarily writing papers and accessing the Internet?
- Do you need to use your computer for programming?
- Do you need to use your computer for multimedia work?
- Will you be creating graphics, music, or video?
- Do you need to burn CDs or DVDs?
Example Hardware Configurations
Recommended new computer specifications for using your computer for acessing the Internet and word processing:
|CPU||7th Generation Intel Core i5-7200U (Quad Core, 2.5GHz, 3MB cache or faster)|
|System RAM||8 GB or more|
|Hard Drive||500 GB Hard Drive or a SSD/Hybrid or dual|
|Monitor||1600 x 1200 Minimum Resolution|
|Video Card||Intel or NVIDIA Graphics 1 GB GDDR5 RAM|
|Operating System||Windows 10 64-Bit|
|Network Card||10/100/1000 Gbps Ethernet (USB Adaptor OK)|
|Wireless Network Card||802.11 ac (WPA2-Enterprise support required)|
- Anti-virus software installed and properly configured
- Three-year warranty (extended coverage from Manufacturer, Retailer, or AppleCare) and/or theft and accidental damage insurance.
- Theft and damage insurance
- USB flash drive (64GB recommended or higher recommended)
- Integrated Webcam (Skype, Google+ Hangouts, etc).
- Backup Solution (External Hard Drive with 500+ GB, Carbonite, CrashPlan).