The Office of Technology Services (OTS) has assembled these resources to assist you in working remotely.
If you have any questions about accessing these resources, please email the OTS Support Desk, call 312.567.3375 (on campus x7DESK), or stop by the upper level of the Galvin Library. For Support Desk hours, please click here.
If you are staff at the Conviser Law Center, please click here.
PLEASE NOTE: Every member of the Illinois Tech community who will be using university-technology resources remotely, such as Banner SSB and Cognos for example, must use Illinois Tech's secure Virtual Private Network (VPN) to minimize the possibility of a security incident.
Download VPN Software
The VPN is your gateway to accessing Illinois Tech's network and applications, such as Banner, Confluence, Cognos, AppWorx, CBORD, myfile.iit.edu, and more.
To download the VPN installation package:
- Windows and Mac: Click here
- Android: Search Google Play for "Cisco AnyConnect"
- iOS: Search Apple App Store for "Cisco AnyConnect"
Access to Your Own Work PC Environment
- Download the VPN (see above) and access it by using your IIT credentials.
- Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) — The remote desktop protocol allows you to access the documents on your office desktop and hard drive from any location as if you were working at your office computer. To access the RDP, first download the VPN (see above) and thereafter set up your remote desktop. By accessing the RDP through IIT's secure VPN, you are doing your part to be cybersecurity conscious and complying with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) regulations.
- There are many tools available for collaboration through the Google Suite apps to which all members of the Illinois Tech community have access.
- Google Drive - This app stores your documents and more, allowing you to invite other users to view, download, and/or collaborate on any of the files you designate.
- Google Docs - If you want group input on a document, you can use Google Docs and determine who on your team will have different privileges, such as editing or viewing.
- Google Sheets - This app allows users to create and format spreadsheets, charts, graphs, and pivot tables online. It is akin to Microsoft Excel spreadsheets, but unlike Excel, with Google Sheets you can work on a spreadsheet, for example, simultaneously with other users. This app is compatible with Microsoft Excel file formats.
- Google Slides - This is a presentation program that allows users to create and edit presentations online, collaborating with other users in real-time. You can imbed videos or animation, too. Users can access revision history to see prior versions of the same presentation, sorted by date and who made the change. The app is compatible with Microsoft PowerPoint file formats.
- Google Forms - This is a survey administration app that features all of the collaboration and sharing features found in Google Docs, Google Sheets, and Google Slides. You can collect information from users through a targeted survey, poll, or quiz that you can personalize to your audience using photos, logos, or one of the existing curated themes. Your audience's responses are then automatically collected and populated in real time into a Google Sheet that includes charts, saving you time and effort.
- Myfile.iit.edu is a file-sharing network service provided by the university for storing your files. You can access this service by connecting to the VPN and mapping the file share in Windows 10on your computing device.
- Voicemail - Whether you have been converted to VoIP or you are still on the old telephone system, to retrieve voicemails from your office extension, please see the Quick Reference Guide-Mitel Clearspan Communicator Voicemail .
- Voice-over IP (VoIP) - The university is in the final stages of converting the old telephone system to the new Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) telephone system. For more information about the initiative, to learn more about mobile applications and soft phone applications, and/or access user and quick reference guides, please click here.
- If you are still on the old telephone system, here are some Quick Tips for Call Forwarding.
Private and Group Chat Rooms
- Google Hangouts Chat Instructions - This app in the Google Suite allows you to ask questions, collaborate in group chats, create a virtual chat room for team projects, and more.
Audio and Video Conferencing
- Google Meet Instructions - This app provides high-quality audio and video conferencing for meetings of up to 250 participants with real-time captioning available through the app's speech-to-text functionality. Share the Google-Meet link and participants can join with one click. You can include participants from other countries with international dial-in numbers and enjoy smooth integration with your Google Calendar, allowing for seamless scheduling and easy access to all your meetings' details. You can even record your meeting provided you receive its participants' prior consent. To learn more about how to record a meeting, please click here for instructions or watch a quick video tutorial.
- Zoom - Zoom is a cloud-based video communications app that allows you to set up virtual video and audio conferencing, live chats, webinars, screen-sharing, and other collaborative opportunities.
Galvin Library Resources
- The circulation desk of the library has a limited number of laptops available on a first-come-first-served basis. Laptops may be checked out for up to four hours with an option to renew for up to another four hours.
- With the Galvin Library Guide you can learn how to access their resources and services remotely.
State of Illinois Hotspot Map (Drive-up Internet Availability for Higher Ed)
Illinois Tech is a proud contributor to Illinois' initiative to support the education of Illinois residents. This map of hotspots around the state provides instructions for each location.
What If I Need Help?
- Please send an email to the OTS Support Desk, call 312.567.3375 (on campus x7DESK), or stop by the upper level of the Galvin Library. If you would like Support Desk assistance in the Galvin Library, please observe room occupancy limitations and social distancing protocols.
- Click here for Support Desk hours.