Introducing Access Illinois Tech (powered by Okta)
Illinois Tech has a new Identity and Access Management (IAM) platform, powered by Okta. Identity and Access Management is a method of establishing processes, policies, and tools for controlling access to critical information within an organization. Access Illinois Tech will be a gateway to securely access our applications, such as Blackboard, Papercut, and Salesforce.
To see instructions on how to activate your Access Illinois Tech account, click below. Activating Your Illinois Tech Account
Why it matters
Enabling an Identity and Access Management product is the best way for us to employ higher standards for data security and privacy protection.
Using Access Illinois Tech Will:
- Better protect your identity and university data;
- Enable security features such as multifactor authentication (MFA), also known as two-step verification; and
- Ensure access to needed applications is granted and removed promptly and accurately, which also creates efficiencies in onboarding, off-boarding, and role changes.
Other Benefits You Can Expect (in Phase 2)
With Access Illinois Tech, you will be able to perform a variety of activities on your own such as:
- Reset your own password directly from the login page;
- Change your password once you have successfully logged into Access Illinois Tech;
- Update your security question and password-recovery options; and
- Unlock your account.
Supporting Illinois Tech’s Strategic Plan
This security initiative supports the university's 2020-2025 five-year strategic plan in a number of ways. For example:
- By better protecting Illinois Tech’s data and systems and reducing our exposure to cyberattacks, we: "Strengthen our finances to enable strategic investment each year." (Strategic Priority #3)
- In addition, by implementing a more secure gateway for our applications and better protecting our data we are “[e]hanc[ing] technologies used in education, research, and business practices, thereby supporting our priority to: "Fully Realize Our Identity as the Premier Technology-Focused University in Chicago and One of the Top Five Nationally." (Strategic Priority #2)
What will the Access Illinois Tech Login page look like?
You can reach Access Illinois Tech by visiting https://access.iit.edu The Access Illinois Tech login page will look like this:
What will I see when I log into Access Illinois Tech?
In Phase 1 of the Access Illinois Tech deployment, you will only be activating your account and setting up multifactor authentication. Splitting the account activation step from the change to the new dashboard will allow for a more stramlined change to the new application dashboard.
In Phase 2 of the Access Illinois Tech deployment, you will see a new, customizable dashboard (see below for an example) displaying your frequently-used applications. You will have the ability to customize this dashboard, arranging the applications in a way that best suits your needs.
NOTE: Applications that currently exist on the myIIT portal will move over to the new Access Illinois Tech application dashboard in phases over time, with only a number of applications available at the beginning of the deployment.
How do I get started?
Step 1: Check your email, click the link, and sign in with your university login and password.
You will receive an email from “email@example.com” with a link to sign in and activate your Access Illinois Tech account (powered by Okta). To see step-by-step instructions on how to do this, please click: Activating your Accesss llinois Tech account.
Step 2: Set up your multifactor authentication (MFA) preferences.
Once you enter your username and password, for example, you could choose to get a text on your cell phone to confirm your identity or select another option. To see details on how to set up your MFA preferences, please click here.