Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act
The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) is a federal law that protects the privacy of student educational records.
Guidelines for working remotely
Staff and faculty should continue to adhere to general FERPA guidelines while working remotely. Please also keep in mind some additional information when in a shared space with individuals who are not University employees with a legitimate educational interest.
- Prohibit computers from being used by others (e.g., children, spouse) if highly sensitive or critical University data (e.g., social security numbers, grades, etc.) is accessible by others using the device. Ensure that University information and any devices used to access, process, store, or transmit it are physically secured from unauthorized access, destruction, or theft.
- Conduct any phone calls/virtual meetings regarding student information in a private area where no one can overhear.
- Lock your computer any time you step away.
- Work in an area where your computer screen is not viewable by others.
- Always use the University’s secure VPN.
- Continue to ensure that you send all work emails via your iit.edu email address and only respond to students at their hawk.iit.edu email address.
FERPA provides that educational institutions, such as post-secondary institutions, may disclose education records or personally identifiable information from such records only if an eligible student has provided prior written consent, except in several specified circumstances. An "eligible student" is one who is at least 18 years of age or attends a post-secondary institution. The term "education records" is broadly defined as those records that are:
a. Directly related to a student; and
b. Maintained by an educational agency or institution or by a party acting for the agency or institution.
For general information about FERPA, please visit the U.S. Department of Education's website or review the brochure "Student Guide to the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act and the Confidentiality of IIT Student Education Records".
Please review the IIT FERPA website for additional information, including what is considered directory information, accessibility of educational records, and release of information to parents of students.